My lab is in Newell-Simon Hall (NSH), one of the robotics buildings at CMU. Since robotics is a subset of the CS department at CMU, you can’t legally print to the NSH printers without an expensive ($200/mo?) CS computing account.
Because of this, our lab has its own printer. If you work in my lab, you can set up to print to it with the following process:
- Open a browser window.
- Type http://127.0.0.1:631/ in the address bar to open the CUPS web interface. If you are on a Mac, you might need to execute “cupsctl WebInterface=yes” in a terminal.
- Click “Adding Printers and Classes”
- Click “Add Printer”
- Select “LPD/LPR Host or Printer”
- Enter the address of the printer. For our lab, this is “lpd://126.96.36.199/NPI722D59”.
- Select Manufacturer: “Generic” and Model: “Generic PostScript Printer”.
- Select two-sided print as the default.
- In “Set Default Options”, set the status of the duplexer as “Installed”.
- Download the driver from HP, and follow the instructions to install.
- When prompted, use the printer’s IP address (188.8.131.52) to find the correct device.
Print by Email
Send your document as an attachment in an otherwise empty email to email@example.com. Ask Chiyu to add your email to the approved list, otherwise your email will be ignored by the server.